Madinat Hamad is popularly known as Hamad Town. The city was established in 1984. It is located at a distance of 13 miles from Manama and houses a population of 166,824 persons. It served as an asylum for the gulf war immigrants from Kuwait in 1990. The Biggest Formula One circuit of the Middle East, the Bahrain International Circuit is situated adjacent to the city. Madinat Hamad is just 13 miles away from the Bahrain International Airport. Madinat Hamad (Hamad Town) is a city in northern Bahrain. It was a municipality of Bahrain in the central part of the country. It was split off of the municipality of Ar Rifa' wa al Mintaqah al Janubiyah in 1991. Its territory is now in the Northern Governorate. Its name refers to the current king of Bahrain, Hamad ibn Isa Al Khalifah.
Hamad Town was set up in 1984 as a 'housing town', where the government built council houses for those who could not afford the ever increasing house prices in other parts of the country.
In 1990 the government opened the door of Bahrain to the Kuwaiti people who were suffering from the effects of the gulf war with Iraq. It provided free houses and schools in Hamad Town allowed them to use the towns facilities. The Kuwaitis returned home in early 1991 at the end of the war.
In 2001 the government gave the council houses to the people of Hamad town for free.
In 2011, as part of the ongoing Bahraini uprising, the government demolished three mosques it said had housed weapons and illegal activities. The opposition denied these claims, and the act was severely criticized by Islamic scholars in the Middle East.
The University of Bahrain has its main campus near Hamad Town (Sukheer).
How to Reach
Qalat Al Bahrain
The Qal'at al-Bahrain (also known as the Bahrain Fort or Fort of Bahrain and previously as the Portugal Fort (Qal'at al Portugal) is an archaeological site located in Bahrain, on the Arabian Peninsula. Archaeological excavations carried out since 1954 have unearthed antiquaries from an artificial mound of 12 m height containing seven stratified layers, created by various occupants from 2300 BC up to the 18th century, including Kassites, Portuguese and Persians. It was once the capital of the Dilmun civilization and was inscribed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2005.
Bab Al Bahrain
Bab Al Bahrain means Gateway of Bahrain. It is located in the Customs Square in Manama's former central business district (CBD) and marks the main entrance to the Manama souq. Designed by Sir Charles Belgrave, adviser to the Emir and completed in 1945, Bab Al Bahrain once stood close to the water's edge. Due to extensive land reclamation in the later years, one needs to walk more than 10 minutes to get to the sea.
Government Avenue, which runs alongside Bab Al Bahrain, and the new highway that leads to the causeway to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia were built on reclaimed land. Currently, the Bahrain Financial Harbor is being constructed on further reclaimed land.
The monument itself was refurbished in 1986 to incorporate Islamic architectural features. Today, the ground floor now houses the tourist information office and a handicrafts shop. The monument essentially consists of a huge arch, below which runs a road, which is often referred to as the entrance to the Manama souq.